You And Your Machine 104: Hems
Skill Level: Beginner
Pre-requisite: You & Your Machine 101: Introduction or equivalent experience. Equivalent experience includes being able to fill and replace a bobbin, thread your machine and sew a seam.
This 1.5 hour class teaches basic machine hemming skills. Learn to hem projects and garments with a sewing machine to make two different types of machine hems, folded edge hems and invisible hems. These processes includes using a hot iron to prepare the fabric for sewing. Students will use two machine presser feet 1) Invisible Hem Presser Foot; 2) Folded/Rolled Edge Presser Foot.
Most sewing machines come with a hems presser foot. Students are welcome to use our Folded/Rolled Edge Presser Feet to experience them before buying their own.
Students practice hemming a garment using practice garments supplied by the instructor and make a small project to practice skills learned.
This class teaches how to:
- Prepare the hem site for sewing the hem;
- Sew an invisible hem for a project or garment using the hems presser foot;
- Sew a folded edge hem using a straight stitch with or without a folded edge/rolled edge presser foot;
- Your sewing machine (or ours);
- The hems presser foot for your machine (or ours);
- Spool of light colored thread,
- Everyday scissors for trimming threads
- Instructor will provide fabric or students can bring their own
Medium weight woven fabric.
Instructor: Carol Zamonski
April 28, 2:30-4pm