You And Your Machine 105: Sewing Knits
Skill Level: Beginner
Pre-requisite: You & Your Machine 101: Introduction
Or equivalent experience. Students should know how to
Thread their machine, fill and replace the bobbin and sew a seam.
This 1.5 hour class teaches basic sewing machine skills for sewing knits.
Learn needle and stitch selection for sewing knit fabrics. Includes an overview of different types of knit fabrics and discussion of fabric choice for various projects. The amount of stretch in a knit fabric is known as its percent stretch. Sewing patterns require fabric with a specific % stretch. Learn how to measure this % stretch. Discussion of other knit techniques such as supporting lightweight fabrics for greater success with machine sewing, etc.
Students complete a quick DIY stretch knit skirt with optional 2” elastic waistband. No pattern needed. Skirt can be made with new fabric or from a t-shirt. Upcycle your t-shirt into a stylish skirt!
You will learn to:
- Choose the right needle;
- Gauge the % stretch in a knit fabric;
- Select stitches on your machine (or ours) to sew knits;
- Use your machine (or ours) to test sew various knits;
- Make a quick DIY skirt from ½ yard of 58” fabric or a t-shirt;
- Your machine (or ours);
- Machine Presser Foot that can accommodate a zig zag stitch (if using our machine we’ll provide the presser feet);
- ½ yard (18”) of 45” or 58” knit fabric that stretches both horizontally and vertically. Can also use a t-shirt big enough to fit around your hips with an inch to spare. If hip circumference is greater than 43”, use 58” wide fabric. If you are very tall, measure from your waist to the length you want for the skirt and add 2 inches. Buy that much fabric;
- 2” Waistband Elastic to go around your waist (optional);
- Thread to sew your fabric. You know if the color match matters to you. Any all purpose sewing thread will do. It’s just an exercise;
- Everyday scissors for clipping threads;
Instructor, Carol Zamonski
April 25 from 12:30-2pm